Hi All! Hope you’re all excited for the weekend! I definitely am. I’m not doing anything in particular, but I’m excited to relax, ride my bike to the beach, take little Dex to the dog park, and to eat out at great places. I love trying new spots and for awhile now I’ve been wanting to try this place “Rockefeller” which is minutes from my apartment. I’ve been a little skeptical due to mixed yelp reviews (I’m an avid yelper, yes), but the location is great so one night the boyfriend and I finally tried it out. Okay, the atmosphere of this place was great, the beer selection and flights also great, the food was something to forget….EXCEPT for their Kimchi Cheesesteak. It was such a random item for this menu, but the kimchi-obsessed part of me was both curious and intrigued. Couldn’t be more happy I made that decision because it was awesome! So simple. So good.
Makes 2 sandwiches
2 lbs Korean-style beef short ribs, rinsed and pat dry
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
¼ cup water
2 tablespoons mirin (optional)
2 teaspoons sesame oil
1 Asian pear, peeled, cored and chopped
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves
1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
1 green onion, sliced on a bias, 1 inch long2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup kimchi, drained
3 slices provolone cheese
3 tablespoons mayonnaise, divided
1. Place short ribs and sugar into a large resealable bag and massage together until well combined.
2. Place remaining marinade ingredients a blender and blend until smooth, about 2 minutes.
3. Pour mixture over short ribs, seal and shake together. Allow mixture to marinate in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours (best if it’s marinated overnight).
4. Heat a grill or grill pan over medium-high heat and light rub surface with oil. Grill meat on each side for 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to rest. Remove bones from short ribs and set aside.
5. While the kalbi rests, pour vegetable oil into a medium sauté pan and place over medium-high heat. Add kimchi and sauté for 5 to minutes. Top kimchi with cheese slices and add a tablespoon of water. Cover for 30 seconds to allow the cheese to steam and melt.
6. To assemble: Schmear each hoagie with mayo then top with kalbi, followed by the cheesey kimchi mixture. Top with hoagie tops and gently press together. Serve.